Sunday, January 01, 2006

My New Year's Resolution

No Taxation Without Representation Let's End the Racial Subjugation Tax of Mainstream Media I have been known to bitch, moan and complain about how the mainstream media perpetuate negative stereotypes of people who look like me. But what have I ever done about it? Not a whole lot... until recently. A friend once told me that in this country, "we vote with our dollars." When I reflect on that statement, I can’t help but think about all the votes I've cast in support of the kind of media and entertainment that I disagree with. Over the course of my life, I've spent thousands of dollars on movie tickets, DVDs, Broadway shows, and other mainstream garbage that do nothing to help our image. I’ve cast thousands of votes in support of media executives who have made business decisions that deprive Asian-American actors of the chance to develop and grow in their careers. I’ve unwittingly supported an industry that casts Asians as bumbling minstrels, dweebs, or outsiders, relegated to ethnicity-specific roles on the periphery of human experience. Media that perpetuate the stereotype of Asian men as effete, asexual, and one-dimensional. Our women as dragonladies or sluts. In short, I’m the one who’s at fault for the inequities about which I complain. Everyone who consumes mainstream media is at fault. My new year's resolution is to do as much as I can to keep my hard-earned dollars from supporting the media that conflict with my vision. Beginning this year, I’ll make sure that my votes go to media that support non-stereotypical depictions of Asians, as well as other ethnicities. This year, I’m voting for media and programming that are inclusive.

Because TiVo regularly collects subscriber data, I’ll do what I can to make sure that the data from our TiVo box reflects my support of programming that works beyond the stereotypes. With that in mind, I’d like to highlight a couple of shows that I’ll be recording:

  • Book of Daniel (http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Video/?c=Book_of_Daniel/daniel_promo_121505&n=book_of_daniel): According to www.angryasianman.com, “He's the adopted Chinese son of the Webster family, described on the website as ‘a handsome and cocky high school jock with a wicked sense of humor.’ The guy is a player, a troublemaker, and popular with the ladies. Some have described him as a ‘lothario.’ Either way, you don't normally see an Asian guy like this on TV, and it's kinda revolutionary. Here's a video clip of Ivan talking about his character. Adam even has a fictional blog on the NBC site. His current storyline involves his girlfriend, a white girl, whose parents forbid the two from seeing each other. Why? They're racist. Says the mother, ‘I have no intention of watching little Oriental grandchildren running around my Christmas tree.’”
  • Lost (http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/): A multiracial, multiethnic cast that reflects the humanity of all people.
  • Grey’s Anatomy (http://abc.go.com/primetime/greysanatomy/): Uh, can you say Sandra Oh? What a cool chick. I know it upsets a lot of guys that she’s not your typical demure china doll who covers her mouth when she giggles.

Anyway, I’ve already bought my copy of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. I’ve spent a little money on tickets to some NAATCO (www.naatco.org) performances in New York. I’ve also seen a few movies at the ImaginAsian Theatre in on 59th Street. I’m currently compiling a list of other media that I need to support. I know that there’s more enlightened media out there. I just need to find it, and I’ll buy what I can. If I had more money, I’d buy it all. Hell, if I had the money, I’d conduct a hostile takeover of Paramount or Universal. But for now, I’ll vote for what I can afford. A DVD here, a movie ticket there…

But I need your help. If there’s anything noteworthy that is in line with what I’ve said, please let me know about it. If you’d like to join me in my endeavor that’s cool too. Let’s spread the word. Vote with your dollars!

Namaste.

Here's a great article outlining the rationale for such a campaign. I especially love the last line in the article, "Our children's future self-image depends on what we do now.":

And here are good places to start:

And here are other related links:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home