Monday, May 03, 2010

Arizona's Enactment of SB-1070: What are people REALLY afraid of?

What are people REALLY afraid of? That the illegals will can no longer be comfortable in arizona? is that such a bad thing? They're ILLEGAL! It's against the law. A police officer's job is to enforce the law!
Some folks have suggested that the new law could lead to racial profiling of brown-skinned people. As a brown-skinned immigrant myself, allow me to honestly express how I feel about the law. Yes, I am brown skinned, AND I am an immigrant. yet I do not fear laws like this because I am not illegal. I agree that racial profiling COULD be an issue, but it's really not something I am worried about. I've been pulled over a couple of times, but it was for speeding. I was driving too fast. Exceeding the speed limit is against the law. But I don't feel like I've ever been the subject of racial profiling. I drive carefully, and I obey the law. So, I have nothing to worry about.
So maybe I should consider carrying proof of my citizenship around. Big deal. I carry a driver's license. I'd rather not have to carry my USA passport around, so perhaps the INS should consider distributing a wallet-sized document in case I get pulled over.
This law might do little to solve the problem, but one thing's for sure: Illegal immigrants are going to have to behave themselves, or keep themselves out of sight. Bad enough to be illegal, worse when they misbehave. My only complaint about this law is that Arizona passed this law without offering to issue some kind of wallet-sized proof of citizenship for those immigrants who no longer need green cards. I'd rather not have to carry my passport around with me everywhere I go.
Bottom line: only illegals should be worried about the new Arizona law. They're the ones breaking the law, not me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home